How to Edit a Recurring Billing
Sometimes recurring billings need to be edited to adjust price, tax, or other details. You can easily make these changes to affect future invoices in that recurring billing. Click the following link to find out how to create a recurring billing. To learn more about how recurring billings work, read this article.
This article refers to your customers as students, but your Kicksite account may use the term member instead.
Editing a Recurring Billing:
- Navigate to a recurring billing’s details page.
- You can go to the Recurring Billings tab of the Finances section (represented by a dollar bill icon in the left sidebar), or you can get to a recurring billing from the attached student’s profile.
- Click the Edit icon (a yellow pencil) in the upper right of the recurring billing’s details. This opens the Edit Recurring Billing window.
- All recurring billings can have the following details edited:
- Amount: can be changed to any amount greater than 0.00.
- Tax: can be toggled off / on, and can change tax rate.
- Revenue Stream: can be changed to any other active Revenue Stream, which changes the title of the recurring billing.
- Occurrences: can be unlimited or a set number of occurrences, but can’t be less than the current number of invoices in the recurring billing.
- Recurring billings that haven’t started and have no payments or credits can also have the following details edited:
- Start Date: can be changed to any date in the future.
- Frequency: can be adjusted to any daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly frequency.
- Once you’ve made all changes in the Edit Recurring Billing window, click Update.
- Any future invoices with no payments or credit applied will be re-generated to match the edited terms.
- In the Activity section of the recurring billing details, the History tab shows what details were changed, along with the Kicksite user that made the change.
- Editing a recurring billing sends an email to your customers notifying them of the changes. Please note that editing a recurring billing will not affect its autopay status.
Other Changes to Recurring Billings:
- To inactivate an active recurring billing, click the green Active bubble next to the billing’s title and select Inactive.
- To archive an inactive recurring billing, click the Archive icon (a blue file box) in the upper right of the recurring billing’s details.
- Archived recurring billings will no longer show on a student’s profile, but can be found in the Archived Recurring Billings list.
- You can’t delete recurring billings and their invoices, to comply with accounting best practices.
- To toggle autopay, click the Turn On Autopay or Turn Off Autopay button at the bottom of the Details section.
- To change an attached payment method, click the Switch Payment Method button.
- You need a merchant account to attach a payment method and collect payments through Kicksite.
- You can select a payment method already saved to that student’s profile, or add a new one.
- If the student is part of a family, any payment methods added to the family profile will also be available for each member.
- To add a comment, click the Add Comment button in the Activity section.
- To pay one or more invoices ahead of their due dates, click the Pre-Generate Next Invoice button in the Unpaid Invoices tab of the recurring billing details page.
- Usually invoices are automatically generated by the system, one at a time, but pre-generating invoices lets you pay farther into the future.
- To pay all invoices, including pre-generated ones, click the Pay Open Balance button. If you want to make a partial payment, you can change the amount in the Payment Amount field. Recurring billing invoices are paid oldest to newest.