How to Create a Recurring Billing
Recurring billings are automatic payments charged to a credit card or a checking account at a regular frequency. For example, you can set up a recurring billing to charge a credit card every month for 6 months to complete a 6-month agreement. Or you can charge a student’s credit card every week for 12 weeks for summer camp tuition.
Charging students automatically is a huge time-saver for collecting membership dues each month. Kicksite makes it easy to create and manage recurring billings.
First, you need to request billing before you can create a recurring billing. If you haven’t already, send your students (and their parents) a Vault Item invitation so they can enter their payment information. If needed, you can also run a transaction to charge a student immediately.
To set up a new recurring billing:
1. Click Quick Links in the left sidebar, and under Billing/Finance, click New Recurring Billing. (Alternatively, from within Kicksite, click the Billing tab at the top-left corner. Hover over Recurring Billing, and then click New Recurring Billing.)
- Recurring billings can be set up for a student or for a family.
- Note that a failed transaction for a student or family with recurring billing will be attempted again in seven days.
- After three failed payment attempts, the student’s account will be inactivated.
- If the vault item is an ACH (checking account), the vault item will be deactivated after one failed attempt.
2. In the Student or Family field, start typing the name. Click the correct name in the search results.
3. Enter the price in the Amount to Charge field. If the Sales Tax check box is selected, the Total Due will be automatically calculated to include tax.
4. Use the drop-down lists beside Start Billing On to select the starting month, day, and year for the recurring billing.
5. Use the drop-down lists beside And Repeat Every to select the frequency of recurring charges. A common example is to select 1 in the first drop-down list and Month in the second, to set up a recurring billing that repeats on the same day every month.
6. (Optional) Enter the total payments in the For a Total of __ Payments field. For example, enter 12 for 12 payments. If the billing is a month-to-month, ongoing payment, leave this field blank.
7. (Optional) Select an option in the Payment Reason drop-down list.
8. Under Choose a Payment Source, click Vault to select the correct vault item. If you need to enter a credit card, click Add Credit Card (or, if you have elected to accept ACH, click Add Checking Account). Fill in all the required fields if you need to add a credit card or checking account.
9. Click the Create Recurring Billing button to finish.
To view or create a recurring billings from the student’s profile:
1. Go to the student’s profile (start typing their name in the Search field, and click the correct student in the search results). Click the Finance tab.
2. Click Recurring Billing to view the student’s recurring billing(s). (On this tab, you can also view Payment Transactions, Invoices, and Financial Reports.)
If the student has one or more recurring billings, you see a summary of each recurring billing that shows the Reason, the Amount, Start Date, Paid Through, Next Charge, End Date, Payments, Decl (number of declines), and Status.
3. To find out more about a specific billing, click on View on the right of the recurring billing.
4. To create a new billing, click New Recurring Billing. This takes you to the New Recurring Billing screen, which you fill out as described in the previous section.
After you set up recurring billings, visit the Billing Dashboard page to review your current payments. You can update or change an existing recurring billing. If you haven’t already, you may want to review the Billing Settings page to set tax rates.